Sunday, February 23, 2014

2014...A new Beginning...

All pics courtesy of Roger Harrison!

So this year I decided to leave the Bicycle Shack and ride for Boulevard again. There are a few reasons but the main one is I needed a change in scenery. Also Boulevard isn't dedicated solely to the road scene...they also like to play in the dirt, mud and sand, also known as CYCLOCROSS!!!! Which I'm all about these days...as if you didn't already know this.

Anyway, the first race of the season has come to pass and this year it was on my birthday, which would normally mean cold and crappy conditions, but not this year!! By the time I had left it was 60+ degrees and sunny, an epic February day to say the least!!

Moving on, when I arrived at the venue it didn't really hit me or bother me that I was racing on a different team...that came when I was warming up and really got me when the race started...I gotta say it was a bit unsettling to say the least.


On to the race...there's not much to say about it. I'm not targeting any particular race to train for until CX season rolls around, that being said, my fitness was okay and I didn't suffer horribly...anyway...As I was warming up 2 riders from a Team Undiscovered were warming up and I say to my long time racing buddy, "one of those 2 guys will win today" and of course I was right.

The race was pretty hard from the gun as the aforementioned riders took turns beating on the field. Each time they would attack a small group of 4-5 riders would from behind and he would sit up...I bridged up to a couple of these moves early in the race only to find that the anchor had been tossed out on the road and we would be reeled back in soon thereafter.

After about 20 minutes of continuous attacks, one more went and it was then the rest of the field was good with racing for 2nd...I have said this before...I don't understand why this is a good thing...the field could have easily brought this guy back...but no. I guess I shouldn't complain because I didn't take up the chase, but would have gladly helped if it came down to it...oh well...that's racing.


A parting shot flying the Shack colors during my warmup...

No comments:

Post a Comment