Monday, May 26, 2014

Building the DK motor...


Okay...so it's been a while since the last post...the reason being, I haven't had much to write about. After the Gods Country TT I didn't have any races on my schedule so it was down to training and getting the motor built for the DK Half, which is what I've been doing.

Like last year I figured I should do at least one gravel ride to make sure my rig is set up to my liking and just to get a feel for riding on gravel. This year is no different, but this year I decided to ride the first leg of the half and maybe the entire course for a couple of reasons. 1. I wanted to ride some gravel and the first leg in the Flint Hills is freakin cool!!! 2. I wanted to make sure my new gps is working and accurate...which it was!

Well...the entire course kinda went out the window by the time I reached the checkpoint...the main reason is I am a GINGY freakin RED HEAD, and I was starting to get cooked from the sun!!! Had I kept going for another 3+ hours I would have been a blistered hatin life mess...so I called it good at 60 miles.

The course is the same as 2013. There is a difference for 2014...and that is...the course will be marked sparingly and the use of gps is allowed and probably encouraged. With that in mind I bought a garmin etrex 30 so I wouldn't miss a turn this year. It's funny, the turn I missed last year is the very first right turn you can make after you cross the highway out of Bazaar.

I laughed when I realized this...Doug Chambers and I rode a loooooong way passed this turn...about 11ish miles round trip...this won't be the case this year!!

Anyway, there ya go, now you know. The DK is next weekend and I do believe I'm as ready as I'm gonna be...BRING IT!!!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment