Saturday, March 29, 2014

Gods Country TT 2014

Pic courtesy of Roger Harrison

This post is a bit late mostly because I've been sick and pretty much uninspired to come up with anything worth reading! Anyway...Last weekend was the Gods Country MTB TT...initially it was supposed to be an MTB race but Mr. Locke thought a time trial was a better idea...as I look back on it I think it was a good idea too...I've only done one other MTB TT and that was waaaaaaay back in 1996...That's a pretty good story by itself...maybe I'll write about that someday.

I had a good week of riding leading up to this race and since it was on Sunday I decided to take Friday off and do my openers on Saturday. Well...that went down the tubes when I woke up on Saturday with a sore throat and a sinus infection...LAME!!!! So no ride Friday or Saturday and not racing on Sunday was starting to look like the path I was on.

As I was a waste of space on Saturday I decided that I was gonna race health be damned...I had already reg'd online and picked up my packet...I'M IN!! To add insult to injury...I woke up on Sunday to find that it had snowed over night...Mother Nature hates MTB'ers!!!!

The race was fun and I had an okay ride...I had pretty low expectations based on the others in my field and the fact I was illin...anyway...the main goal was to finish without being caught. I was 4th off the line with some fast guys in front of me and several more behind me...I roll down the trail at a good pace and for 8 and a half miles I held off the riders behind me...it was then I looked back and two were gaining on me quickly. I "drill" it and held them off for another half mile and finally had to let them by...oh well...as I said before, it was fun!!!

I rolled across the line 4th in class and 9th overall...not bad!

E

No comments:

Post a Comment